Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Simple Cooking

This past summer i had the opportunity to visit the Philippines for about three weeks. Last time i had been there was 9 years ago so i was really excited to see how things have changed and the life out there. My brother three years prior to my visit decided to move to the Philippines to take up dentistry. Before leaving he did not really want to go but he knew he had to take care of his eduction. After only one month of living there he explained to me how he loved living there more than the States. He would often tell me how the food and service out there was nothing compared to the United States.  Therefore, on my list of to do, eating out was a high priority because I knew the cuisine was going to be very different out there. I mean yes i get to eat home cooked filipino food whenever I am at home, but to be in the land where all these foods, such as adobo, lumpia, and nilaga had originated was an experience i couldn't wait to get to. 

When i first landed one thing I instantly noticed was the street vendors all right next to each other that I never see in the States. Whenever children would get out of school I would see long lines at each vendor waiting to receive their food. Food so simple as fish balls or soda in a zip lock bag seemed so good. I wanted to try a couple vendors before I left so when I did the food was incredibly good! The taste of everything was something I have never had before. I ordered fish balls, which they place three on a stick and then grill it. Once their are done they have jars of sauces you can just dip them into and eat. I also ordered the chicken where they also just place pieces on a stick and them grill them. The flavors just shot right to my tongue and I wanted more and more. 

What was crazy to me was that some street vendor who uses a simple grill and has sauces in random jars created a meal that was one of the best meals I have ever had in my life. Everything was simple, no presentation needed, just the food and its flavors. However, people often think that the more expensive or the nicer a place looks like then their food will be better. I have been to many high scale restaurants where their food was not even half as good as the food I ate out on the street. It just goes to show how materialistic our culture can be and how people tend to associate high prices with great food, when in fact its not true at all. Granted there are some great restaurants with delicious food at a high price, but lets not forget the origins of cooking and that great food can come from simple cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment